Over the past few years there has been a tradition emerging of longevity researchers and activists around the world organizing events on or around October 1 — the UN International Day of Older Persons, or Longevity Day.
This is an excellent idea, and to take it further Lifespan.io will be running a social challenge campaign, not unlike the Ice Bucket Challenge, to raise both funds and awareness for life extension research — the #LifespanChallenge. It will begin on October 1 and run through the month of October.
— The Challenge —
- Donate any amount via Lifespan.io to a running campaign or to the Life Extension Advocacy Foundation (LEAF). If you have already done so already, feel free to skip to the next step.
- Post a short video (or image with description) on social media where you:
- are holding up the #LifespanChallenge sign (which you can print or show on a tablet, etc.)
- share a personal reason why you sincerely care about life extension, or express yourself in any way that is linked to this theme
- challenge 3 friends to do the above as well
- Add a post description similar to this:
“Hey everyone; here is my response to the #LifespanChallenge to help extend healthy lifespan! My reason for helping this cause is _____. If you want to help please donate any amount to https://www.lifespan.io/donate/ or projects at https://www.lifespan.io, do a video like this, and challenge 3 of your friends to do the same. For example @FriendName1, @FriendName2, @FriendName3 I challenge you!”
— Tips —
- Facebook has made it easy to upload video directly, so all you should need is a cell phone camera.
- The text that accompanies your post should be informative, tagging your friends (preface their name with an @ in Facebook, for example) and including the hashtag #LifespanChallenge. This will make the post visible to your friends and easy to find later.
- One of the goals of this challenge is to introduce more people to the idea of life extension, so make it a point to talk to at least one friend who is not already part of the life extension community about the #LifespanChallenge, and open up a dialogue around this topic.
- Don’t wait to be challenged; be a part of the first wave and help really get the ball rolling.
That’s it! Let’s keep up the momentum to #CrowdfundTheCure, and I hope you all have an excellent Longevity Day. Special thanks to the enthusiastic supporters who created and held up signs when we first launched (examples below); it was you who gave us the idea for the #LifespanChallenge.