A Knowledge Hub for Life Extension Advocacy
You would think that the majority of people would support the development of life extension technologies that might help people to live healthier and longer lives; however, quite understandably, the idea of human life extension raises some concerns for certain people.
There are potentially massive changes coming to medicine and how we regard aging and treat age-related diseases in the next few decades. With these changes comes the potential for people to live longer and healthier lives thanks to the life extension therapies that directly target the various aging processes in order to delay, prevent, or even reverse age-related diseases.
However, the realization that human life extension is coming, perhaps even in our lifetime, raises a number of concerns and objections to the suggestion of increasing healthy human longevity. Some of these concerns are perfectly understandable but are often based on logical fallacies -that is, the argument contains logically invalid reasoning.
We talk to many people about aging research, and we encounter a wide range of views and concerns about using science to achieve longer, healthier lifespans, so we have compiled a series of articles that take a look at some of the more common issues and concerns surrounding increased human lifespans.
- When you discuss any major issue, sooner or later someone will say that there are more urgent issues than whatever it is you’re advocating for. Sometimes it may be true; other times, and […]
- The discussion of increased lifespans through medical and technological methods of addressing the various processes of aging raises the concern that this could lead to a lack of resources and result in conflict and suffering. The argument suggests […]
- Clear, unambiguous definitions are crucial in science. These definitions must be firmly established to avoid confusion and misunderstandings, and they prevent people from going around telling everyone that you’re working on something that you’re actually not. […]
- The pro-aging trance is a concept created by the British biomedical gerontologist Dr. Aubrey de Grey to describe the broadly positive and fatalistic attitude society has about aging. It is a significant barrier to the development of rejuvenation technologies […]
- Whenever the topic of any possible increased healthy longevity through science is discussed, a common objection to developing the technology is that it is unnatural. This argument usually arises during […]
- Any discussion of rejuvenation biotechnology will almost certainly include the subject of overpopulation and the objection that medical advances that directly address the various processes of aging will […]
- Cognitive Biases Effect Support For Life Extension
- Cultural Stagnation, Would it Happen if we Increased Human Lifespan?
- Learned Helplessness and the Acceptance of Aging
- Logical Fallacies Influence Support For Life Extension
- Lost Motivation Would Result from Increased Lifespans, or would it?
- “Only for the Rich” Argument Against Life Extension
- Overpopulation Would Happen if We Increased Human Lifespan, but would it?
- Scarcity Would Result from Increased Human Lifespans, or would it?
- Society Vs the Individual
- Selfish Wanting to Live Longer or not?
We would like to ask you a small favor. We are a non-profit foundation, and unlike some other organizations, we have no shareholders and no products to sell you. We are committed to responsible journalism, free from commercial or political influence, that allows you to make informed decisions about your future health.
All our news and educational content is free for everyone to read, but it does mean that we rely on the help of people like you. Every contribution, no matter if it’s big or small, supports independent journalism and sustains our future. You can support us by making a donation or in other ways at no cost to you.
GIVE PER MONTH
Hungry for more longevity content?
If you would like to read more longevity related topics, we have created a number of knowledge hubs for you to explore below. Also check out our longevity news for all the latest aging research and longevity happenings.