Since 2007, the Project for Awesome, simply known as P4A, has been helping to make the world a better place. It is an initiative of the Foundation to Decrease World Suck, a Montana-based charitable organization run by Hank and John Green, and their plan is simple: to make the world suck less.
So, how is P4A planning to achieve this mighty goal? Simple: it is inviting you to make a short video in support of the charities you care about. Then, everyone gets to vote on their favorite videos from the ones that people have made, and the top-voted charities each get a share of the money raised by the event.
In previous years, charities have won around $25,000, and for a small organization like LEAF, this would go a long way torwards expanding our activities. It could help pay for more Youtube videos with popular channels such as Kurzgesagt to reach new audiences, support a conference or similar event, help us to hire amazing content creators and produce films, and, in general, help us to do even more.
How can you help?
The winning charities of the past P4A events have all had at least ten videos sent in by the community to showcase them, so we would like to ask you to support us by making a short video and sending it to P4A on December 7th-9th.
Here is the video we made last year; we’ll be making another this time, so please be sure to vote for us :)
Even simple cell phone videos are encouraged, but here are some great tips for stepping up your P4A video-making game:
- Make a short (~2 min) video saying why you care about and support us; you can call us Lifespan.io, Life Extension Advocacy Foundation, or LEAF. Here’s some examples from last year and a tutorial from Hank. Note that in the drop-down menu for the charity you are supporting we are “Life Extension Advocacy Foundation” so while you can call us any of the above names please be sure you choose Life Extension Advocacy Foundation from the menu.
- Get your video ready by uploading it to your YouTube channel as unlisted. Fill it out with all the YouTube trappings (title, tags, description), be sure to use keywords such as Project4Awesome 2018, #p4a2018, and P4A 2018, and make a thumbnail using the P4A assets. You can look at the examples above for reference.
- On December 7th at noon EST, flip your video to public, and submit it to the P4A website as its organizers describe.
- As we are reaching out to a general audience here, it’s best to focus on the positive aspects of rejuvenation biotechnology in your video, such as health, independence, and curing age-related diseases, rather than focusing on baggage-laden terms, such as immortality and living forever.
- Get all your friends to vote for videos in support of us (including yours if you made one!); votes count for each one! You can vote for multiple videos, but please vote on each video only once – there was a bug last year that made it look like you could vote more than once, but doing so would get you blocked as a spammer.
- Share and spread the word; tag your friends on FB, use #p4a2018 on Twitter, Facebook, and Tumblr, etc.
- If you get some special voting link for your video after you submit, don’t forget to use that and also add it to the top of your YouTube video’s description.
- Many charities can win, so definitely feel free to support any longevity research-focused charity videos you see. We have it on good authority that some other organizations you might recognize will be appearing! ;)
Thank you in advance to everyone who decides to make a video to support us and vote for the videos showcasing our work; we appreciate you taking the time to help us out. And remember, don’t forget to be awesome!